It is important for our students to acquire the foundations of knowledge and skill, to develop the capabilities for learning how to learn, to think logically, creatively and critically, to develop and use knowledge, to analyse and solve problems, to access and process information, to make sound judgements and communicate with others effectively. Students should be enabled to build up confidence and positive attitudes towards mathematics learning, to value mathematics and to appreciate the beauty of mathematics.
To train students to:
- Handle basic mathematical operations;
- Understand and apply mathematical concepts to solve mathematical problems;
- Establish students’ self-confidence and to develop their learning skills;
- Acquire logical skills, problem solving skills and creative thinking skills;
- Cooperate with other disciplines to enable students to apply what they have learned and to increase the interest and practicality of the subject.